The South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG), situated in Rivonia is looking for mature telephone counsellors who would like to give back to the community by being the voice of hope for callers in their time of need. SADAG offers free telephonic counselling, information on mental illness and referrals to Mental Healthcare professionals, clinics and hospitals.
SADAG helps callers countrywide with mental health queries and is open 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm. The NGO is the largest mental health advocacy group in Africa and receives up to 400 calls per day. To help keep its 15 helplines running, SADAG is currently looking for compassionate, mature counsellors with life experience who are able to volunteer just 4 hours per week. All new volunteers will receive training at the beginning of March including additional on-site training, which can be started when convenient and is done either during the day, evenings or weekends, for those who work full time.
- “I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you SADAG for saving my life and bring my confidence back thank you, thank you thank you. Keep on doing the great work u are doing. I love you all.”
- “If you have a phone then phone SADAG at their number above - 0800 567 567. You might feel like everything is hopeless and overwhelming, but they understand what you are going through and know how to help you. It just takes the one phone call.”
- “Next year I plan to get more involved. So much we can do, let's fight this stigma, SADAG, I am right behind you!”
- “Oh bless your heart, thank you so very much. Yes I think he will need face to face counselling and hoping that you may be able to suggest someone and where to go. Thank you for responding so quickly.”
- “Oh my gosh thank you thank you so much. I am so grateful. I am trying to get hold of Dad and see how he feels. Thank you once again.”