SADAG Volunteer Counsellors
How to become a Volunteer Counsellor
What we look for in Volunteers
- Volunteers should be 21 years old or older
- Volunteers should be situated in Johannesburg or willing to travel to Rivonia on a regular basis
- Be committed to being a SADAG volunteer as a telephonic counsellor for at least 6 months
- It is beneficial to have a background in psychology or some experience in mental health
- Once training has been completed, volunteers are required to commit to at least one 4-hour counselling call center shift per week, during the 8am-12pm; 12pm-4pm or 4pm-8pm time slots available 7 days a week.
The Application process
What the Counsellor Volunteer Training Involves
- Volunteers have to complete a 12 part training program which entails 8 online e-learning sessions and 4 on-site practical training shifts.
- Following the 12 training sessions, a final assessment will be completed.
- Volunteers are required to attend monthly Counsellor Meetings which are held on the last Saturday of every month, between 9am and 11am. (Currently, due the COVID-19 pandemic, these meetings are hosted via Zoom)
Click here to fill in the application form
Ongoing support once you have become a Volunteer Counsellor
- Mentorship programs run by senior SADAG cousnellors
- Free debriefing after difficult or emotionally taxing calls
- Supervision and support during shifts
- Online Support Group for counsellors
- Regular emails with interesting local and international articles, webinars and new info related to mental health