- Volunteers should be 21 years old or older
- Be able to travel to a SADAG office in Sandton, Johannesburg or Parklands, Cape Town
- Be committed to being a SADAG volunteer as a telephonic counsellor for at least 12 months
- It is beneficial to have a background in psychology or some experience in mental health
- Once fully trained, counsellors are expected to complete a weekly four-hour shift. Our shift times are Monday-Sunday; 8am-12pm; 12pm-4pm or 4pm-8pm
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer counsellor.
Applications are now open.
|JHB Application Form
|Cape Town Application Form
- Our volunteer lay counsellor training is a combination of online self study, and face to face connect sessions
- Assessments and feedback sessions are completed throughout the training
- Volunteers are required to attend monthly Counsellor Meetings which are held on the last Saturday of every month, between 9am and 11am.
- Supervision and support during shifts
- We provide ongoing support during every shift to promote counsellor development
- Onsite debriefing and case management
- Access to regular mental health information resources
- Support Groups - click here